Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The Towers


Torres del Paine, Chile

Today is the towers walk. The towers are three granite spires that stick straight up in the air

The Towers

like three naked fingers. As to be expected, there are a few casualties today. Naomi and Kate (who I’ve taken to referring to as the girls) both have nasty blisters and won’t be going anywhere, Martin and Neil are possibly still drunk, but get on the truck anyway and Rachel never even makes it out of her tent.

This morning I ask Neil if he’s changed his mind yet about getting married on top of a volcano and he still seems positive about it, though I think that the wheels of common sense are starting to turn.

We get to the start of the hike and in less than ten minutes Neil and Martin have already turned back, as they’re hangovers are already kicking in. Usually in these walks, I walk at the back with the slower walkers to make sure everybody is coming along nicely, but as Steve wants to walk with Kyanne anyway, he volunteers for the duty and I power on. The beginning part is pretty tough uphill and it discourages the casual walker. I’ve done it a few times though and know what to expect, which makes it a lot easier, though I’m still left in the dust by Damon and Kristy who are both in great shape. Once I get to the top of the first hard part, I set a slow and even pace which maintained I know will bring me to the top in no time. But along comes Claire skipping down the trail and a much more furious pace and I decide to join her. The middle part of the trail is pretty cruisy, nice rolling ups and downs, but nothing to tough. We walk through beautiful forests along a rushing river. The last part is the hard part. We have to pick our way up a boulder field for about an hour until we finally come to a look out over small lake at the base of the towers. It’s stunning and we’re lucky because it’s a perfect day and the towers are completely visible. Last time I was here, they were ducking in and out of clouds the whole time.

We sit on a boulder, eat lunch and stare at the glories that are the towers, waiting for the others. Andy makes it up a few minutes after we do and Kristy and Damon have been up here for awhile. I want to wait until my Dad makes it up, but unfortunately I didn’t bring a spare shirt to change into and the wind is starting to make me pretty cold. I wait for an hour or so, but decide to head down with Andy and Claire when they go. I run into my Dad along with Steve and Kyanne about half way down the boulder section. He’s coming along slowly but surely. Towards the end of the hike Kristy and Damon catch us and I end up walking along with Damon and Claire with Kristy, until Damon and I realize that they’re pretty far ahead and probably have decided that we’re racing. That won’t do, so we take off running down the trail and eventually catch them, almost killing ourselves in the process. Finally we roll into the small restaurant, exhausted and happy.

That night Neil breaks the news that he wants to get married with Rachel, just the two of them at some unspecified date, breaking Kristy’s heart, who was really looking forward to it, more than I think even Rachel was.

No comments:

Post a Comment