Friday, February 9, 2007

I meet an Aussie soap star


Buenos Aires, Argentina

In the morning I check my email and I find that a Kiwi girl that I hung out with for a couple of

Martin, Leigh, me and some random out on the town

days in MontaƱita a couple of years ago has emailed and is wondering what I’m up to. It just so happens that she living in Buenos Aires. So I arrange to meet her that night. I figure if anybody knows what’s going on tonight, it’ll be somebody who’s living here. Afterward I do a bit more macroing and copying, getting my city sheets ready for the next section. Every big town we come into I hand out a little packet with a map and info about things to do, places to eat, internet, post office, etc.

After I’m done I decide to go see a movie. My dad and most of the pax have taken off down to Boca. Once in awhile it’s nice to get away from everybody and do something on my own.

That evening only Leigh, Andy and I go out to meet the Kiwi girl. We meet her, her boyfriend and a couple of her friends at a funky bar named Congo in Palermo. The Kiwi girl and her boyfriend end up leaving early on and we were left with the 2 friends. One is some sort of executive for a large dairy company and lives in B.A. The other one is an Aussie named Suzy, who is an actor and was in a popular Aussie soap named Home and Away for 4 or 5 years. I find out the next day from the Aussie girls on my trip that this is a big deal and they chastise me for not finding out which character she played or anything.

Anyway, we decide to move on and it just so happens that a girl that Andy hooked up with a couple of nights before is hanging out in a bar only a couple of blocks away, so he subtly directs us in that direction. It’s a cool bar, but very crowded and after awhile the girls take off and just a little later Leigh and I decide to go find our own fun.

As we step out of the bar we decide to find somewhere to get a tequila shot. Just a couple of steps down the street we run into another bar. It has a big sign outside and as I look at the specials it occurs to me that somewhere I’ve heard of this bar and then I look up and I recognize the door man.

He sees me and says, “Mike! You came…Come, come.” He puts his arm around my shoulders and directs us in to the bar and orders us two tequilas. It’s not for 10 or 15 minutes that I finally figure out that it’s the taxi driver from last night. Of all of the 1000’s of bars in B.A., I randomly walk into a bar that fulfills my drunken empty promise from last night.

By the time he gets done filling us with tequila, I’m spent and we end up calling it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment