Thursday, February 1, 2007

Sons of Bitches


Foz Iguacu, Brazil

We got up fairly early today because we had a long day in front of us. We piled everybody into the

View Iguazu falls from the Brazilian side


truck and took off down into town. While the pax visited Itapu Dam, the biggest hydroelectric damn in the world and the tour is free making it the best damn tour around (haha, I love dam jokes), I did the shopping for lunch and sent off a couple of emails. Once the pax had finished the dam tour the truck picked me up and we headed off for the falls.

Outside the national park they have a helicopter that does tours over the falls. As a tour guide you never pay for tours. That’s just the rule. But these guys somehow screw me every time. They always say that I can do it, but at the last second find that they don’t have room. The first time that I was here I could have done it, but as I was coming back I let my driver do it. This time I had 7 pax who wanted to do it and the helicopter can hold 4 at a time, so I thought that I was in there. The woman running the reservations said `Yeah, no problem, you can go, not with your pax, but with the people in line behind them.’ So I wait and Steve waits for me for an hour and a half and just at the last second a single woman walks up out of nowhere and takes my place.

Sons of Bitches.

Steve and I then jumped in the truck and decided to visit the other campground in town. Over the next couple of days something like 7 or 8 trucks are coming through town on their way to Carnaval. We eventually find our friend Sarah who is another tour guide and actually one of my ex-passengers. She had such a good time on the trip that she signed up to be a tour guide. We grab her and a couple of other tour guides and drivers, head back to our campground and spend the afternoon hanging out around the pool. I would have loved to have just stayed there for the night, but we had reserved seats for what’s called the refrain show. This show is kind of a cheesy dance show that supposedly showcases different dances from all around S.A. The best part of it for me, besides the samba girls in their scanty outfits, is the food. It’s a huge buffet with every different type of meat, pasta and seafood that you can think of. The other cool thing is this is basically the one chance that the pax have to see capoiera. Capoiera is a Brazilian martial art brought by the slaves from Africa that turned into a dance when it was outlawed. It involves a lot of flipping, twisting and kicking and is spectacular to watch.

After the show that night we make merry around the pool with all the other guides and passengers.

No comments:

Post a Comment