Tuesday, February 6, 2007

On to B.A.!

Buenos mother-fucking Aires, Argentina

Two long days of driving, but the pot of gold at the end of the journey is my favorite city in South America. Buenos Aires is hip, hot, cheap and full of beautiful women, good food and good fun. I’m a wee bit nervous this time as my Dad is going to join the trip in B.A. and be along all the way to Santiago. I haven’t seen him in over a year and a half and haven’t spent that much time with him besides the random dinner here and there since I was a kid. Luckily, I have a really chill group right now and I think that they’ll take him in.

Tonight we camp behind a gas station.

The next day we continue driving and get in to B.A in the early afternoon. After giving the group a chance to clean up, I give them my 50 cent tour of the downtown area. For the most part it’s a practical tour, pointing out the nearest ATM and laundry, but I also throw in a little historical perspective here and there.

That night we head out for our first in a series of steak dinners. A couple of them are ready to go out and rip up the town, as I’ve told them that B.A. offers the best nightlife in S.A. Unfortunately, it’s a Tuesday night and there’s not much going on outside the expensive nightclubs, but I take them down to Recoleta, a ritzier neighborhood and we have a few drinks. One thing about B.A. is that people don’t go out to dinner until at least 10 pm and don’t go out to the bars until at least 12 pm and to the clubs until at least 2 am. It takes a little getting used to.

No comments:

Post a Comment