Friday, February 23, 2007

Just Don't Crash


Torres del Paine

This is our last full day in Torres and I’m a little nervous because today is the day that I get to drive Doris. The group is going on a catamaran trip to the other side of Lake Pehoe, where they’ll get dropped off and they’ll walk up to where they can see the Grey Glacier. There they’ll jump on another boat that will take them back to the hotel where the kayaking was yesterday. Steve wants to go, so I’m stuck with trying not to crash Doris into anything.

I drop them off at 12 noon and then drive Doris (very carefully) down to a little hotel that has internet (the campsite office one is down). The parking lot is pretty small and Doris is a beast, so turning it around is a bit complicated, but I eventually figure it out. After using the internet I drive back to the campsite and have a leisurely day doing accounts and writing in this journal.

That evening I have to drive it 40 minutes up the road to the hotel to pick up the kids. It’s a bit nerve racking, but I make it only stalling it once. The group comes in tired and cold, but it sounds like they had a good day. We cook a quick dinner and slope off to bed early.

No comments:

Post a Comment