Thursday, October 22, 2009

PT Cruising

Edmonton, Alberta

My presenter for the last few days of this week is an energetic firecracker of a woman named Dana Finch. She’s from Texas with a charming Texan drawl, three football playing boys in her Texan family (along with a couple more foster children), lots of Texan beliefs and amazing energy that’s about the size of… well, Texas. Though I don’t always agree with Texans on religious or political questions, Dana was without a doubt one of the nicest people I’ve ever met. I couldn’t help but laugh every time one of her boys called her on the phone and she would answer in the accent, “Hey Cody Finch!” or “Hey Luke Finch!”. Loved it.

Anyway, her first seminar with me was in Denver, where it was snowing, and then we had to fly up to Edmonton that afternoon. We got in late and then still had to pick up a rent-a-car and drive it forty minutes into beautiful downtown Edmonton. The only positive thing was that the rent-a-car people gave us a PT Cruiser. I had always wanted to drive a PT Cruiser.

What I learned today: The thought of driving a PT Cruiser is way more fun than actually driving one.


Friday, October 24th – Calgary

Long, long drive today from Edmonton to Calgary. Of all the road trips in the world that I can think of, the trip between Edmonton and Calgary would rank near the bottom between St. Louis to Dallas and Addis Ababa to Mogadishu. Luckily, Dana was a fun driving companion and helped me take my mind off the depressing scenery and the fact that PT Cruisers drive like Panzer tanks.

What I learned today: Calgary looks just like you’d expect it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment