Saturday, October 24, 2009

My Posse's on Broadway


Manchester, NH

After a long week rather than flying home, I decided to fly to Denver and then take a redeye to New York,
Meg Vita and I

so when I finally reached Manhattan I had only a couple of hours of airplane sleep. Luckily, I was revived by visiting one of my favorite people in the world (and many of yours) Meg Vita. She took a day and a half out of her very busy schedule at Columbia to hang out with me in the NYC. It was one of those weekends that though we only had thirty hours or so, we did so much it seemed like much longer. The highlights included a Brooklyn brewery tour (the beer more than the tour), whipping through Williamsburg in some dude’s BMW, big gulp margaritas, midnight meringue, a long hike through Central Park, coming out of the Park at the exact right street, portabella cheese burgers and the best chocolate peanut butter shake I’ve ever had.

The weekend was capped off when I picked up my rental car for my week in New England. In the morning, when we left Meg’s apartment, she decided to bring along a scarf, just in case my rental car was a convertible. “It won’t be a convertible, Meg,” I said confidently, “but bring it along if you want.” Well whatdoyaknow, when I walked up to the National Rent-a-car desk in mid-town Manhattan, the woman’s brow furrowed when she said, “All I have left is a Volvo C70. It’s not very big… but it’s a convertible.” Yessir, we cruised down Broadway in Manhattan in a beautiful black convertible, Meg looking like a starlet wearing my Ray-Ban (like) sunglasses and her scarf wrapped around her head, the ends fluttering in the breeze. When I got up here to New Hampshire, I had to exchange it for an SUV because it wasn’t big enough to carry my presenter’s suitcases, but it was totally worth it. Awesome couple of days!

What I learned today: When a street person asks you for money, it’s much harder to say no when you’re driving a flash convertible

No comments:

Post a Comment