Friday, October 23, 2009

The Joy of Children

Denver, CO

So I want to talk for a moment about babies on planes. When it comes to hyperactivity or other “imbalances” parents are quick on the draw to feed their kids Ritalin, Addrall and the such, so can’t we as a society decided that a very mild sedative be okay for children on flights? I can’t help but think with all of our fancy technology we could come up with a cherry flavored liquid form of valium that’s safe for kids under the age of seven.

These were my (more humane) thoughts as I squirmed and tried to get comfortable while the child in front of me screamed and cried the entire flight from Atlanta to Denver. I must say, as bad as it was for me, it must have been ten times worse for the Mom, so I felt for her (even though she obviously didn’t prescribe to my kiddie valium strategy). Ahh… it’s just so easy to comment on the way to raise a child when you have none of your own.

What I learned today: The quantity of helpful hotel people divided by the number
of screaming babies on the airplane equals the amount of joy I have in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment