Monday, January 29, 2007

Rain, Go Away


Bonito, Brazil

Unfortunately it rains for most of our two days here. It’s disappointing because Bonito is one of my favourite places and it’s the last time that I’ll be there. For most of the two days I concentrate on getting my work caught up. I’m finally able to catch up on accounting and able to make all my reservations for the next few weeks. Exciting stuff.

Meanwhile, the passengers have the opportunity to do

Picture from a previous tour in the Bonito campsite


some very cool tours. The snorkelling tour in the Rio Plata is basically floating down a river with the clearest river water I’ve ever seen. They have chances to see Caiman, Anaconda (my last group saw one without even knowing it. It was in a picture) and tons of different types of fish of all shapes and sizes. Its good fun and strangely relaxing as you don’t have to do much but float and try to keep yourself from bumping any sharp objects or kicking up murk so others can’t see.

The other tour is ominously dubbed the Abyss. On this tour you repel about 150 feet down into a cave. Once you’re in the cave you get to snorkel or scuba and look at the stalactites, stalagmites and fish throughout the giant cavern. When I did it I felt that it was unlike anything I had ever seen.

So Bonito was kind of a bust. The pax enjoyed their tours, but didn’t really enjoy camping in the rain. The first night Steve and I took them down to the river, but because of heavy rains, the current of the water made the night swimming not as free and easy. Anyway, I’ll include a flashback that should give you some idea of how it usually is.

No comments:

Post a Comment